Everything You Need for Your First Move
2 - min read
For both businesses and individuals, preparing for and executing a move can be a stressful time. Whether you’re moving next door or moving across the country, being prepared ahead of time can significantly reduce stress and make your move more productive overall. By following a few time-tested moving tips, you can prepare for and make your move with confidence.
Moving Tip Phases
For first-time movers, there are three phases to any move. The preparation phase, the actual moving phase and finally the post move phase. The tips contained in each phase make it an easy process and when combined, makes it easy to conduct a move even if you have moved many times in the past. Also, be sure to read our Ultimate Moving Checklist to ensure that you’re even more ready for the big day.
The preparation phase is by far the single most important phase, other than perhaps the actual move itself, as proper preparation is key to a successful completion of subsequent phases. During the preparation phase you should:
- Make sure all finances are in order and that you understand the costs necessary to make this move.
- Make sure all local utilities have specified cutoff dates and any arrears corrected.
- Confirm the start date at your new job to make sure you allow plenty of time to conduct your move.
- Verify your new address and that it will open and ready for you to move in on the dates you require.
- If living with a roommate, make sure to coordinate with your roommate when you are conducting your move.
- Contact a professional moving company.
- Create a packing list that details when things can be packed.
- Secure enough packing materials to pack all your items.
- Make sure you know what can be packed and what cannot be packed and check with your moving company for any other safe packing requirements.
- Make sure to properly label each box or material and desired location if any.
- Pack one room or area at a time.
- Separate any personal items you will need during the move.
- Clean your current living space to locate any items you may have missed.
- Contact any local utilities at your new location and ensure service is ready on your move-in date.
- Create a “Load Last-Unload First” box of items that will be required when you arrive at your new location.
- Make sure your personal items needed for the move are in your personal vehicle.
- Ensure that you have all the necessary contact information for the moving company, new location, utilities and more.
- Endeavor to make yourself available to the movers for the duration of the move.
- Once everything is loaded, conduct a final check of the location to ensure nothing is left behind.
- Properly secure your location and return any keys or other items.
- Make sure all pets are properly and safely secured before the movers arrive.
Post Move Phase:
- Make sure to arrive before the movers.
- Check the location for any items left behind by previous inhabitants.
- Supervise the unloading and placement of boxes.
- Check to see if there is any obvious moving damage.
Having successfully completed your move, now all you need to do is unpack and throw a housewarming party for with your new friends and neighbors!
By taking advantage of these moving tips, you can feel sure that your first-time move will be a smooth move. For business or individual relocations, be sure to contact PeachTree Movers in the Atlanta area when it comes time for your next move, and let our professional staff help make your move easy as possible.